On Tap

  • NOTHING
  • Bunch of Store BEER in Bottles

Monday, February 4, 2008

A Little Glass of Heaven

image

My dad has a saying, "A blind hog can pick up an acorn every now and then". Well I was able to do this with beer.

The Munich Helles truly is a thin slice of heaven. Most beer lovers compare most all beers to something brewed in Europe. Most likely a pilsner from Germany or Czech Republic or maybe a stout or a common bitters from British Isle. And everyone has had that yellow fizzy stuff in the little cans. Hellis is a lesser known beer that everyone should try, at least once in their life time. Truly, my favorite German Beer! I tried to recreate this beer from memory. So, the first run was not quite what I wanted. Then I did a little research... and with the help from Jamil from The Brewing Network, I brewed the hands down, Best Beer Ever!.

The grain bill is very important, yet simple: 92% German Pilsner, 6% Munich light, 2% Melanoiden will do the trick. Be sure to do a 90 minute boil to drive off the DMS. Jamil uses Magnum hops to bitter, but I used Saaz for bittering and aroma. I made a 4000 ml starter and pitched the yeast cake. I pitch at 40F and ramped to 50F for 35 days. I do not do a diacetyl rest, I let the yeast clean up. Then, I age the beer for another 2 to 4 weeks. WOW!!! This is a medium golden clear beer with a thick creamy head. The aroma is clean and malty. And the taste is over the top. I can not wait to brew this again!

No comments: